Founding


Elizabeth (formerly Elizabeth Town) was founded in 1787 by Samuel Mackay, Colonel Stephen Bayard and his wife Elizabeth Mackay Bayard (for whom the town was named).

Elizabeth boat builder John Walker, who is buried in a small family cemetery in the borough, was contracted to build a 55 foot keel boat used for the first stages of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. The keel boat set sail from the shores of the Monongahela River in August of 1803.

Elizabeth celebrated its sesquicentennial in 2009, marking the 175th anniversary of the town’s incorporation as a borough, which took place on April 2, 1834.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email